A melted charred cellphone is all that could be seen intact at the site of last week’s house fire on Dixon Avenue in Hawera.
Four families who lost their homes are currently staying with family or in motels following the blaze that destroyed two of the four units on Friday the 19th of April.
The two remaining homes are not yet accessable until an inspector has visited the site, which may not happen for another week according to a spokesperson for one of the families.
It’s still not confirmed whether the remaining belongings can be saved due to the asbestos exposure.
The block of flats are currently barricaded off with ten foot fencing and asbestos warning signs.
Only one person was hurt in the fire and treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation but released shortly after.
The property managers, Selwyn Metcalfe Real Estate were on site and helped the tenants who needed emergency accommodation not long after the fire had been put out.
It’s not yet confirmed whether the agency will assist with rehousing the victims of the blaze.
Work & Income have made contact and assisted with clothing and food grants in the interim.
All emergency services including Fire, Police and ambulance were in attendance and back up from from New Plymouth was also called on to fight the fire.
No surrounding properties were damaged from the fire but occupiers were evacuated as a precautionary measure.